Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Cannin Maters"




I am so excited about my first quart of mater's! Okay so one quart isn't much to brag about but hey I'm easily impressed! My jar didn't turn out so cute though. I think because it was an older jar it had residue I couldn't get removed and sooo it ended up cloudy looking. And the stupid maters floated up even though I packed them as tight as I could. Oh well, maybe they'll be picture perfect next time! The mater in the picture is crazy looking! I don't know if they are supposed to be knobby like that or if it's just deformed. We don't spray our veggies so I just cut off the bad places and use them. No sense wastin' a good vegetable! I'm sharing the recipe I used which was sooo super simple! Happy "mater cannin"!
Canned Tomatoes
35 to 40 large tomatoes
1 tsp sugar per quart (optional)
1 tsp salt per quart (optional)
2 tbl bottled lemon juice
Peel tomatoes by dropping then into boiling water for 15 seconds. Immerse in cold water and peel skins off. Core each tomato and leave whole. Put salt, sugar and lemon juice into the jars. You should have plenty of juice to cover the tomatoes by pressing them down. Remove air bubbles and clean the rim of the jars. Seal and process in a water bath canner for 45 minutes. Makes 7 quarts.
I didn't have enough tomatoes to make 7 whole quarts so I just used what tomatoes I had. There were a few tomatoes that I had skinned that wouldn't fit into the jar so I just put them in a frezeer bag and froze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment